Main | April 2006 »

March 13, 2006

Got a lot of work done this weekend

Work on the mast is coming along nicely. I've installed ABI folding mast steps all the way to the top of the mast, got the winches and forstay tang back on and have installed the new LED Tri-color masthead light. I also got the bowsprit sanded down and put on the first coat of Ameron AMercoat 370 epoxy paint on. I also stripped all the varnish off the areas around the bowsprit and the chainplates and put on the first coat of epoxy. My buddy Greg swears by using straight West Systems epoxy with the 507 UV resistant hardener instead of varnish. So I'm giving it a try.

I went out sailing with Steve on Baby Blue Monday night. We had a great little sail as the sun went down. We ran into on of Bodhran's sisterships out on the bay. You can find some pictures of Downeast 32 Miracle here.

March 9, 2006

Latest on Bodhran

Well the goal right now is to take off for Mexico in September of 2006. I've got a lot of work to do. I've taken down Bodhran's mast, removed all the hardware, stripped all the old paint off, ground down any corrosion and have just finished priming and painting her with 2 coats of awlgrip. I can't say that I've done the most professional job ever, but it's shiny and looks good as long as you don't inspect it too closely. Now it's time to start rebedding all the hardware and constructing my new standing rigging.

While I was at it, I went aheand and removed the bowsprit. I was worried about rot in the holes where it mounted to the deck and the sampson posts as well as under the kranze iron. So I stripped the paint off, drilled out all the holes and have put on two coats of epoxy. There was a little bit of rot in the holes where the bowsprit thru-bolted onto the deck, but the epoxy should seal that up nicely. Next, I'll be adding two new anchor rollers to accomodate the larger anchors I'll be using on my extended cruise.

I've also got all the chainplates off and have found a bit of pitting and onimouse looking cracks in 3 of them. So I'm having new ones fabricated. They might have been ok, but I really don't want to be worrying about my rig when the wind pipes up.

Finally, I'm almost done with my new battery compartment under the starboard settee. Man do I have a lot going on right now.

MovableType is up and running

So I'm finally moved my webpage out of the early 90s and into the 21st century with the addition of what's bound to be an infrequently updated blog powered by MoveableType. It's going to be a while before I get things smoothed out so bear with me.