Archive for November, 2008


Saturday, November 29th, 2008
Panorama of Whangarei

Panorama of Whangarei from the top of the Ross Track

Tate and I finally got out of Marsden Cove on Tuesday leaving on low tide to make the 12 miles up river to Whangarei on a rising tide. It was a beautiful sunny day, but with the wind on our nose, we had to motor the entire way. Near town the river shoals to 5 feet at low tide, but we made it through to Town Basin only grounding once when I had to swing wide to turn around to come into the dock. Whangarei Town Basin was already packed with cruising boats escaping cyclone season and I had to raft up to Hanah Lee at the courtesy dock. Fortunately I had reserved a pile mooring a few months back.

Bodhran at rest in her new home

Bodhran at rest in her new home

My first impression of Whagarei was decidedly mixed. Upon leaving the marina, across the street you see a huge discount grocery store and 3 car dealerships across a very busy street. Upon further investigation there’s a marine store right there, a German brew pub across the street and once you get behind that huge grocery store you’re in a nice very walkable downtown a little bigger than Bellingham. I think that it’s going to be a great place for working on the boat, and a pretty nice place to live.

Pickin with a celtic session that Tate and I stumbled on at MacMorrisey's Pub

Pickin with a celtic session that Tate and I stumbled on at MacMorrisey's Pub: Pickin with a celtic session that Tate and I stumbled on at MacMorrisey's Pub

Working at accompanying myself on the harmonica now that Tate is gone

Working at accompanying myself on the harmonica now that Tate is gone

Bodhran at rest in her new home

Walking up the Ross Track, a trail a half mile from where Bodhran is moored

Crossing Pics

Tuesday, November 25th, 2008

We really didn’t take too many pictures while we were on passage, but a few turned out:

Photos from the crossing from Tonga to New Zealand

New Zealand!!!!!!

Monday, November 24th, 2008

Sailing at sunset on our last night out:
Sailing at sunset on our last night out

Weather to go or not? That’s was the big question back up in Nukualofa. The weather on the passage to New Zealand is notorious and the crossing season between the Southern Winter and Tropical Cyclone Season is relatively short. For 2 weeks before taking off I scrutinized the weather on a daily basis. Normally you get a big low that comes up out of the Tasman Sea every week or so. The prevailing wisdom is to leave after one low has passed, get hit by one half way through the passage and then get into NZ before the next one comes along. Well the usual weather patterns weren’t showing up this year. Instead, high pressure systems kept forming off Australia and moving across the passage route forcing the normal lows South. That’s all well and good, it’s nice not get blasted by the gale force winds associated by the normal low pressure systems in this area, but instead of gale winds, there were forecasts for no wind whatsoever. Finally after 2 weeks of waiting around, the paid weather routers declared a weather window opening for Thursday, November 13th. Well it still looked very light and I wanted to get Bodhran out early to capitalize on every possible bit of wind, so I left two days early on the 11th right after a particularly nasty squall came through the anchorage at Pangiamotu.

Sailing past uninhabited Ata Island on the 3rd day out, the only land we’d see for 1000 miles:
Sailing past uninhabited Ata Island on the 3rd day out, the only land we'd see for 1000 miles

Tate and I got Bodhran out of the Tongatapu group and found little to no wind. We spent an afternoon and the better part of the first night doing less than 2 knots. The wind filled in during the wee hours of the morning and we were on our way. For the first 4 or 5 days the wind was light (<10 knots) and more often than not right on the nose. The sailing was a bit mundane and there was not much to see. The highlight of every day was the morning and evening single sideband radio net that John on Meridian put together. He had about 20 boats at any given time on passage between Tonga and New Zealand checking in with their positions, heading, boat speed and weather conditions. First it’s nice to know that someone knows where you are and that things are going well when you’re on a 1000 mile passage, but much more interesting is hearing about the weather that all of the boats in front of you are experiencing as well as getting info on grib files, weather faxes and email weather reports from Commanders and Bob McDavitt that other boats in the fleet are receiving. I’m sure that Tate is sick to death of me talking about the weather, but it’s been an obsession of mine for the last month now. Unfortunately the weather was so unsettled that forecasts weren’t reliable for more than 12 hours out. As it turns out we did pretty well weather wise. The wind was on the nose 90% of the time, but we only hit two 24 hour periods of 20-35 knot winds. Of course those were on the nose as well and damned wet and uncomfortable, but we were still able to make headway and the majority of the passage found the wind in the 8-15 knot range.

Tate out braving the first 30 knot system that came through:
Tate out braving the first 30 knot system that came through

As we sailed further south, the water lost some of it’s brilliance, the weather got colder and boobies and frigate birds gave way to albatrosses and petrels. I also saw a number of these strange little jellyfish that had a sail on their backs that extends above the water to push them along. I can’t remember what they were called, but I’d seen a documentary on them once. By the time we were nearing the New Zealand coast there’d been a 25 degree drop in the sea temperature as well as the daily ambient temperature. I had to break out every stitch of cold weather clothing that I had on board and still had to huddle up in a blanket or sleeping bag during the night watches.

I’m not happy about being cold and out of the tropics:
I'm not happy about being cold and out of the tropics

After 11 days we made landfall off Cape Bret early in the morning with our first tailwind of the trip. It was a beautiful day and as we rolled on past the Poor Knight Islands Gannets with bright yellow heads started flying by along with multitudes of petrels and prions. As we approached Bream Head, the entrance to Whangarei Harbor, we began to see other sailboats. As we rounded Bream Head ourselves, I was able to run downwind with the first few gusts that accelerated around the headland. Then I saw the first dust devil sized water spout in front of us. We quickly rolled in the jib, but still had a full main when the 50 knot gust hit us and spun us 145 degrees back into the wind, scooping gallons of water with the dipped rail. After a couple more gust like that we just dropped the main and motored the rest of the way into the new marina at Marsden Point.

Coming into Bream Head:
Sailing around Cape Breen

I had radioed Taupo Maritime Radio from 250 miles out asking them to notify customs of my arrival in Whangarei at 1700. About 1530 as we were still approaching the entrance to Whangarei Harbor customs called on the radio. I told them that we’d be in in an hour and they said that they’d meet us at the dock. The customs dock is only big enough for 4 boats and the officers have to come from the airport to check boats in, but sure enough they were already there waiting to whisk us through a very painless check in process. I know people who skipped New Zealand because they were afraid of having to give up all their stores. It turns out that quarantine took our beans, potatoes and garlic. They were mainly concerned with anything that could sprout. Both customs and quarantine were really friendly and spent as much time joking around with us as they did going through the paperwork. Between the officials and then the weekend marina guy who hooked us up with a card to take showers, and do laundry we started tallying up the friendly Kiwis that we met. The Marsden Point marina is out in the middle of no where right next to a pulp mill and New Zealand’s only oil refinery. The quarantine officer had clued us in to the location of the nearest tavern. Unfortunately it was 5 Km away, so we started walking down the road with our thumbs out. The first car to pass pointed just up the road to indicate that he wasn’t going very far, but the second one picked us up. Silas had just started a year long contract doing radiographic inspections at the refinery. He just happened to own a Catalina 350 down in Auckland and was interested in hearing our story. So we all went to the Ruakaka Tavern and Silas even bought the first round. I can’t begin to describe how well those first few beers went down, especially my first porter in over a year. At the tavern we met Jill, this incredibly outgoing Maori woman who told us we had to go to the Shearing Shed, a county bar not too far away. Well turns out that the Shearing Shed was a bit upscale, but we met friendly Kiwis 6 – 10 there. Alas after 5 pints and not sleeping for more than 3 hours at a time for almost 2 weeks, we had to call it a night around 9 o’clock.

The next morning we wanted to head the remaining 10 miles up river to Whangarei, but the gale that we’d be racing to get in before had hit and was pinning us to the dock. So we did laundry and tried to clean up the boat. Now it’s been two days and the wind doesn’t look like it’s going to drop, so it’s time to get some internetting done and take care of any more chores we can think of. Hopefully we’ll be able to get river in the next few days.

Here’s a few movies we shot while out:

This was during a lull in the weather during the first system that hit us:
Sailing in lull during our first good weather system that came through

Our first good sunny day 2/3rds of the way to NZ:
Our first good sunny day 2/3rds of the way to NZ

Landfall in New Zealand:
Landfall in New Zealand

President Elect Barack Hussein Obama!!!!!!!!!!!

Wednesday, November 5th, 2008

Watching the election and pickin at the Billfish bar in Nukualofa, Tonga
Watching the election and pickin at the Billfish bar in Nukualofa, Tonga

Well I was supposed to be gone yesterday…and I was kind of. Turns out that I’m back in Nukualofa after a false start and was able to catch the election coverage today at the Billfish. We got to the bar at 10am Tongan time, which was about an hour before the first of the East coast polls closed and stuck around through Obama’s victory speech. It was an amazing day. We muted the TV and picked songs through all the commercial breaks, and then spent the rest of the time trying to explain the electoral college to the non-Americans. I’m very excited to see what Obama will do. It was definitely worthwhile delaying our departure to NZ.

Speaking of taking off for New Zealand. Well yesterday, I finished taking on water and was all ready to go. I just needed to get out of the harbor so that I could scrub the bottom. Well, there was a northwesterly wind coming in and no real protection anywhere to anchor and dive the hull. I finally selected a spot 6 miles out to the West on my way out of the group. Well, the reef that I anchored behind was only partially awash, and there was quite a chop running while I cleaned the hull, so much so that I was taking a lot of water through my snorkel. Well I got pretty sick and had to lie down for a bit. Not 10 minutes later, Tate came down to alert me to the thunder storm rapidly descending on us. Well where I was anchored was no good, there just wasn’t any protection. So we raised the hook and tried to motor around inside the reefs to avoid the 2 thunder cells coming through. We quickly realized that we weren’t going to avoid the weather, so I decided to just head for the pass through the reef a mile away. It was shortly after that ill fated decision, that a bolt of lightening hit the water right in the pass we were heading for, close enough to blind me for a little while (maybe ½ mile away). So out came the jumper cables to hang in the water from the rigging to give the lightening a path to ground that doesn’t go through my boat. Then it was time to put all the movable electronics in the oven. Once that was done, I went ahead and decided that I wasn’t meant to sail to NZ that day and I slowly motored back to the quay. It looks like the next window to leave won’t be until Saturday, though now I’m beginning to doubt that I’m ever going to make it out of Tonga.