Oct 072007
 

Ahh the fun never stops here at Western Towboat. We come into Dutch Harbor and have to land our 300 foot long barge into a 400 foot opening with 50 knot winds blowing parallel to the dock. Fortunately we had two other tugs to help us out and all went well. Then we go over to the fuel dock and start replenishing our supply. We were down to less than 3 days of fuel left and would have been screwed if we didn’t get the weather window that allowed us to get in. It also sucks to be on a tug low on fuel because it gets thrown around so much more in a seaway. By the time we got in we were 400000lbs, 200 tons lighter than when the tug is full of fuel. So we’re 3 hours into fueling, Mitch and I get back from a quick run to the grocery store to pick up a couple days of fresh produce. The produce section is pretty well wiped out. Why? Well because the freighter that brings all the supplies into Dutch Harbor is due in a 6:00 tomorrow morning. Guess where that freighter needs to park. Yup, right where we just parked the barge carrying the crane that will very soon be unloading that same ship. But for now we have to go back out in 50+ knot winds and move the barge to another berth. The winds a bit trickier than before and we have a heck of a time getting it into it’s new berth. Finally at 9:00 at night we’re back on the dock and all is well with the world.

Crane sitting near it’s new home at the Horizon Line dock:
CraneDutch

All was well with the world. The next morning I awake at 6:00 am to the James Dunlap, one of the other tugs in the bay, coming over to tell us the our barge had broken free and was on the beach. No not the barge we were tied up to, the other one. You know the one that is loaded with shipping containers for Bethel and Nome. We were supposed to be leaving with it that night to start our way north. The container barge was rafted up to another barge on a mooring buoy in the bay. Shore stations reported 85 knot winds that night. The lines holding the barges together parted and off our barge went. So off we went half asleep into the pitch black morning and still howling winds running to go and look for our barge. We were only underway for about 5 minutes when we got the report that it had run hard aground in Summer Bay. The tide was going out and there was nothing we could do, so the Westrac II continued on to explore the scene by water while James and Mitch hopped in a Dunlap truck and took off to check it out by land. The barge was hard aground on a rocky stretch in the bay with one of the skegs ripped off and a visible hole in the bottom of the stern.

High tide was at 4:00pm so around noon we started preparing for our salvage effort. The coast guard was leery about giving us permission to pull it off the beach. The were particularly concerned about the explosives and other hazardous materials on board. The main office dealt with the coasties while we collected the emergency tow lines from the Westrac II and the James Dulap. Shackling them together gave us 1200 feet of 5” line. The barge was in too shallow of water for either of the Western Tugs to get into, so we needed the 1200′ of line so that the Saratoga, another Dunlap tug, with her 5 foot draft could get one of our guys on board to hook up the tow line. By 2 o’clock we’ve got the soft line connected to our tow gear and the barge. Now we take the Westrac II, the smaller tug from our company, and run bridles from our bow to her tow gear. Unfortunately the bridles were steel cable and by this time we had a 10 foot swell running. Naturally the steel cable has no give to it and it was dangerous as hell hooking this thing up, but we had one guy whose only job was to watch the swell and give us plenty of warning before the cables came tight so that we could all clear out. Ok, so now we got the Westrac II hooked to the bow of the Ocean Mariner, hooked to 1200 feet of line so that we can stay in the deep water, hooked to the port bow of the barge. The barge is hard aground along it’s entire starboard side and stern with one skeg torn off and god knows what the bottom looks like. It’s two hours until high tide and we start pulling. The tow line snaps tight, it with a defening clap as it’s stretched so tight hundreds of gallons of water is wrung out at once. We’re all hiding behind the stacks on the Texas deck expecting this line to come flinging back with enough force to kill any of us instantly. The line is now stretched to about a 3″ diameter there’s so much pressure on it, but it’s holding. The barge moves about 3 feet and then holds fast. We spend 30 minutes with both tugs pulling full throttle, then as we’re just beginning to get complacent, the tow wire starts spinning off the winch as the stern erupts in a cloud of smoke. Our huge hydraulic pumps couldn’t keep up with the load we were trying to pull and allowed the winch drum to spin against it’s enormous brake pads resulting in a noxious cloud of burning brake dust. Once the smoke cleared we went to work shackling support struts from the drum to the winch frame to keep the drum from spinning. There’s no way that thing’s gonna spin now. Of course the swell is still running, it’s starting to rain and we’re all really on edge. Nobody on either of the boat crews had done this before and the loads involved are enormous. The barge is loaded with about 2100 tons of cargo, plus the weight of the barge itself. Add to that the friction of it being hard on the rocks. On the other side is a combined 6000hp connect to props the size of Volkswagens. In the middle is a 5″ piece of 8 plait line. I’m really impressed with the load that line is able to take. Finally at 3:50 we broke the barge off the rocks and began to pull it out into the bay.

Taking the soft line out to the barge:
MitchTowline

The Westrac II hooked on and ready to pull our bow:
WestracIIBridle

Pulling the barge off the beach:
BargeAground

Now the coast guard reluctantly gave us permission to try and pull the barge off the beach. They wanted us to wait until tomorrow after divers had gone out and surveyed the bottom. Problem with that is that the barge will be sitting in the surf smashing against the rocks for another 24 hours. If it isn’t trashed now, it definitely will be by then. So here we are with the barge off the beach. It’s listing badly to starboard and aft. It’s designed with at least 4 different chambers in it. As long as they aren’t all holed, we should be ok to get it to the dock. But wait! Remember the hazmat and explosives we have on board. Now that the we have the barge off the beach, the coast guard won’t let us bring it anywhere near town. I’m not sure what the logic is, but if something goes wrong, better to trash the pristine area outside of town rather than nasty old Dutch Harbor and all their emergency response gear. Lucky for us, it looks like the barge isn’t sinking. We think that it’s holed pretty badly in at least one spot, but it’s below the water line and there’s no way for the air in the barge to escape so the water can’t come in. We were told to do circles in this bay a mile from town until morning. If the barge still hasn’t taken on any water then, then the coast guard might allow us to come into port.

Towing our freshly returned to the sea barge around to the other side of Dutch Harbor:
GimpyBarge

This morning we got the word that we could come in and tie off to a buoy in Captain’s Bay. We’re sitting here until divers can come out and check the bottom. Until then, who knows we’re just going to be cooling our heels.

 Posted by at 10:54 pm
Oct 042007
 

Cold and gray up here in the great white north. We just got into Dutch Harbor after a long 24 day run up from Oakland. Normally all of Western Towboat’s tugs take the inside passage up to Icy Straits and then head out across the gulf (if need be). Unfortunately we were too tall to make it under the power lines at Seymore Narrows, so we had to go outside Vancouver Island and duck in when we got up to the Queen Charlottes. We only ran into one day of brisk headwinds while we were on the outside, otherwise it was pretty smooth sailing. Of course once we got into the Inside Passage, the weather deteriorated. I hear that it’s beautiful, but it seems that where ever I go in Alaska, it’s always rainy, foggy or both. Unfortunately this isn’t a pleasure cruise. We went right by Glacier Bay, but or course couldn’t take the detour. So instead we went out into the Gulf and began our 5 day crossing over to Kodiak. All in all we couldn’t have asked for better weather. We’ve been watching all these nasty low pressure systems with sustained winds up over 50 knots. They start up in the Fall( right about now) and just march right across the gulf on a regular basis until Spring. We were able to get on the north side of the one that passed us on our way across. The lows all rotate counter clockwise, so even though the system was moving from West to East, we got a good day of 25-35 knot easterlies. Kudos to James for steering us around that one. By the time the next low came through we were on the inside of Kodiak Island and were protected from most of the swell, though the headwinds still slowed us down quite a bit. We beat our way down to the Shumagin Islands (250 miles NE of Dutch harbor), but there was another big low coming straight for us, so we decided to hang out in the lee of Korovin Island until it passed. A week later we were still in the lee of Korovin. James and Mitch were pretty much exhausted from trying to maneuver the tug all week. We regularly got 40+ knot winds during the week with peak gusts around 70 a couple of times. It’s amazing how much windage that crane has. Our 3200HP wasn’t enough to hold it in anything over 40, so it took constant attention to keep up with the wind shifts and keep us in a safe spot. I swear that we were being drug backwards by the crane as often as not, sometimes we’d be doing up to 4 knots the wrong direction.

Mitch Pulling in another Albacore off the coast of Oregon:
MitchHandline

Rafted up to the Ocean Titan in the inside passage taking on fuel, water and coffee:
Rafted

Another fine day on the Gulf of Alaska:
GulfOfAlaska

We had a small weather window on Tuesday night to try and get out of the Sumagins and get down through Unimak Pass. We lucked out and were able to ride a Southeasterly all the way past Scotch Cap. So finally we’re here in Dutch Harbor. We were all hoping for a chance to recover for a bit while they unload the crane, but one of our other boats, the West Trac II, is a day ahead of us with a barge full of containers heading up to Bethel and then Nome. The West Trac II is only an 82 footer and a bit small for the trip up the Bering Sea, so we’re going to be taking their barge on to Bethel and then Nome once they’re done offloading the Dutch Harbor cargo. The plan as of right now is for me to get swapped out in Nome and fly back from there. Then it’s a week or two in B’ham and I’ll be on my way back to Bodhran. This has been a really long trip and I am sooo ready to get back to Mexico and another sun filled Winter.

 Posted by at 10:44 am
Sep 112007
 

Well we’ve been sitting on the dock here in Oakland for a week now. We originally figured that we’d be here for 2 or 3 days, but it turns out they had to re-engineer how they stayed the crane, so it’s actually taken longer to shore the thing up than it took them to load it down in Long Beach. Hopefully they’ve got it right this time. We’re leaving today and will hopefully be up in Dutch Harbor in 15-20 days.

 Posted by at 12:02 pm
Sep 052007
 

It seems like I can’t let a September pass without going under the Golden Gate at least once. Although in years past I’ve had little more than 15 feet of clearance going under the center span. So what are we doing in San Francisco you ask? Well that’s a damn fine question. We left LA Saturday evening with no wind and gentle seas. When I awoke the next morning, we were across from Santa Barbara and the wind was building a bit. We were down to making 6.5 knots, but hey I’m a sailor 6.5 knots is great. By my time at the helm during lunch, we were down to 4.5 knots trying to get around Point Conception in 6-8 foot seas with a steady 25 knot head wind. About this time we started rethinking our chances of averaging 7.5 knots all the way to Dutch Harbor. As the day progressed, we ran into 10 foot seas and gusts in the 40 knot range. That crane has a lot of wind loading on it, and we just can’t pull against it when the wind pipes up.

Here’s the crane back there doing it’s thing in 6-10 foot seas:
CraneSeas

The next morning found James and I up in the wheel house drinking coffee and doing about 3 knots. James asked if I could see anything whipping around back on the barge and sure enough. At least one of the enormous lengths of threaded rod they used to brace the crane from astern had broken loose and was flopping around like a piece of rope. I couldn’t believe it at first, this is 3” thick solid stainless and it’s swinging around with the barge like a wet noodle. So we put the call in back to the office to see what they wanted us to do. We could either go back to LA, head into San Francisco if we could get under the bridge or we could just not worry about it and keep heading into Dutch. Fortunately the people who are having the crane shipped decided on San Francisco. So here we are. Of course San Francisco should have only been a day away, but with the increasing headwind, we were down to less than a knot for most of Monday and the better part of Tuesday even going backwards sometime. Amazingly the motion wasn’t too bad it just sucks going to be being right across from Morrow Bay and waking up and…yup that’s still Morrow Bay over there.

Here’s the all the bracing hanging limp with the one broken piece:
CraneDamage

So here we are a mere 5 days from leaving Long Beach and we’re back on the dock. We need to take care of the damage, figure out what went wrong and make sure that we’re good for the rest of the way up to Dutch. It’s all just more money in my cruising kitty, but this might get a little ridiculous. James is now talking about the possibility of this stretching out into a 70 day run. He’s hoping to be home in time to spend Halloween with his kids.

Here’s the crane with about 10 feet clearance going under the Golden Gate Bridge:
CraneGoldenGate

 Posted by at 8:17 pm
Aug 312007
 

It’s been an impressive week here in Long Beach watching the guys from Rigging International load the container crane onto the barge and get it all shorne up for the trip north. In the past they’ve had to set up rail systems to get these cranes onto the barge. Instead these guys have this great system where they jack the crane up on these two sets of hydraulic jacks on wheels. Lots and lots of wheels. 320 in all. Each one capable of turning independently and all together capable of lifting a 200 foot crane 6 feet off the ground. They used a big tractor like the kind that is used to pull airplanes around to pull the crane around and did about a 12 point turn to get the crane into position to be drug onto the barge. We turned the barge stern too the dock and filled the ballast tanks to get it down to the same level. The rigging guys welded 4 winches to the barge, 2 to pull the barge into the dock and 2 to pull the crane onto the barge. It took about 6 hours to load the crane. Once they moved the began pulling the crane across the ramps onto the barge, they could only load about 3 feet of it at a time. Then the weight of the crane would then push the barge down and we’d have to wait 15 minutes or so while enough water was pumped out of the ballast tanks to get the barge back up level with the dock.

Here’s the winches welded to the barge to haul the crane on board:
BargeWinches

Here’s the crane up on the jacks and being rolled into position:
CraneLifted

And here’s the crane coming up to the ramps:
CraneRamps

They’ve just about got it on:
CraneBarge

So the loading only took one day. For the last 5 days they’ve been welding big honking support struts, guy wires and riduloulsy long 3” stainless threaded rod securing the crane for the seas. The insurance guy has approved us for seas up to 18 feet. We’re not supposed to go out if the seas are worse, but not much we can do if we get caught in anything bigger. Here’s hoping for little waves.

Here are the struts welded to the barge to reinforce the crane. They’re 3 or 4 feet in diameter:
CraneStruts

So for the last week the rest of us have been sanding and painting on the outside of the Ocean Mariner during the day and once in a while getting out of the terminal for a beer at night. Probably the highlight of the week was our survival suit drills. They were unbearably hot even when we were in the water, but it was fun trying to do front flips off the barge while dressed up bigger than the Micheline Man. If the rigging guys get finished in time, we’re leaving today. If the weather treats us well, it should take 17 days to get up to Dutch Harbor, otherwise it’ll take longer. It’s gonna be fun watching that big ass crane on the barge beating in the waved.

Captain James and 1st Mate Mitch during our survival suit drill in Long Beach harbor:
SurvivalSuits

 Posted by at 12:05 pm