Archive for the ‘Projects’ Category

Photo Albums fixed in Internet Explorer

Monday, January 15th, 2007

So people having been telling me for a while that my photo albums weren’t working. Well it turns out that I forgot a nested close tag in my the photo links into the albums on every single one. It worked fine on firefox, but not in IE. So long story long, the links all show up in IE now, but the whole site is designed for and looks better in firefox.

Progress Report

Saturday, July 29th, 2006

Well the last week has brought some new developments on Bodhran. First I got to go out sailing and test the new traveller and Monitor setup. I need to come up with a new way to tension the Monitor control lines, but other than that it works great. The wind was pretty light, but the traveller worked like a champ. I can’t believe how much further I can sheet out the main before it chafes on the lowers.

As for new projects this week, my buddy Lou helped me carve up a boom gallows cross piece which I got installed on the supports that I put in last week. Lou also helped me make up some chocks for putting the nesting dinghy up on the foredeck. I also installed 3 Nicro solar vents. I’ve got an exhaust vent in the galley and in the head and setup an intake fan at the front of the saloon. Finally I replaced all the big windows in the main cabin.

solar1.jpg

solar1.jpg

solar1.jpg

solar1.jpg

New mainsheet setup

Saturday, July 22nd, 2006

Well it’s been a week since I quit work and I’ve got a new mainsheeting system, I’ve glassed in the pvc tubes through the transom for the Monitor control lines, I’ve opend up the last chamber on the last tank that needs to be fixed and I’m well on my way to getting my boom gallows put together. Things never go as fast as I’d like, but they are going well. Here’s a pic of the new traveller setup and the boom gallows mocked up with pvc:

solar1.jpg

The traveller setup allows me to well, travel up and down on the main obviously, but it also lets me use one of my nice self tailers on the cabin top for my main sheeting. As an added benefit I now can move around the aft end of the cockpit without having to step down into the cockpit well. I’ll also be able to add a sailing bimini now that the mainsheet is foreward of the cockpit. All in all I’m pretty jazzed. Now I just got to get off the dock and test it.

Monitor Windvane up and running

Wednesday, July 5th, 2006

Well I finally got my self steering vane installed and took it out for a test drive to Lopez Island for my buddy Andrew’s wedding. The control lines are not in their final configuration, but the vane worked well as long as I had about 2 knots of apparent wind. It had problems when I was running wing on wing with a poled out drifter in 3 knots of true wind. The apparent wind was only .4 knots and I couldn’t get the light air vane to respond at all. Not that I really expected it to work in that range, that’s why I added the Simrad Wheelpilot.

Here’s a pic of the vane doing it’s thing:
solar1.jpg

and here’s a closer look at the mounting:
solar1.jpg

and here’s the drifter, which I picked up for $20 at a swap meet, poled out on my new whisker pole setup. Also note my new nesting dinghy stored on the coachroof in front of the mast:
solar1.jpg

Ahhh sweet, sweet solar.

Monday, May 29th, 2006

I put the finishing touches on my electrical system this weekend with the addition of two Kyocera 65T solar panels on Bodhran’s pushpit. On a cloudy day here at 49 degrees north, the two 65 watt panels capable of putting out almost 8 amps were generating 4.1 amps. I couldn’t have been happier. I’ve no doubts that they’ll be able to hit that 8 amps mark down in the tropics.

solar1.jpg

Here’s a pic of the mounting system that I came up with. I need to add a thumb screw to the strut for quick removal of the panels when the wind pipes up.

solar2.jpg